Format: Online course/online exam
Course description: Designing and implementing a quality system of internal control can be challenging. Adapting to rapidly changing business models and technologies require systems of internal control to be agile.
The COSO Internal Control Certificate will develop your expertise in designing, implementing and monitoring a system of internal control. Topics explored within this course include types of objectives, components of internal control, principles and points of focus, roles and responsibilities and limitations of internal control. This course is designed for accounting and finance professionals dealing with systems of internal control.
Upon completion of the nine self-paced, online learning modules and the online exam, you will be able to apply your new internal control knowledge for:
- Major cost savings from streamlined processes and better management of compliance costs;
- Improved governance, which translates to stronger business results and increased shareholder value;
- Enhanced quality of risk assessment; and
- Strengthened fraud deterring efforts.
You will complete an online exam to verify that you have gained the core competencies related to systems of internal control. When you pass the exam, you will receive a digital badge to display your internal control expertise to your online professional network. This course qualifies for CPD for CIMA members and offers 17 hours of CPE credit.
The COSO Internal Control Certificate is an online, self-study learning programme. You have 24 months to access the learning materials, making it easy to fit around your work and personal commitments.
- Types of objectives
- Components of internal control
- Principles and points of focus
- Roles and responsibilities
- Limitations of internal control
Following the completion of this course you will:
- Be able to recall key points related to the principles-based approach
- Recognise ways to identify, analyse and respond to risks in your business
- Develop confidence in your system of internal control
The certificate programme includes an online exam. You can complete the exam at any time within 90 days of completing the learning. On average, the exam takes 90 minutes to complete, however you will be given 180 minutes for the exam.
Key course information
- Field of study: Business management and organisation
- Programme level: Basic
- Prerequisites: Basic level of exposure to COSO’s 2013 Internal Control Integrated Framework.
- Advance preparation: None
- Estimated duration: 17 hours
- This certificate is designed for accounting and finance professionals dealing with systems of internal control.
- Format: Online courses/online exam
- Access: 24 months from date of purchase
- System requirements.
Publisher: Committee of Sponsoring Organisations of the Treadway Commission (COSO)
COSO is a joint initiative of five private sector organisations (the American Accounting Association, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Financial Executives International (FEI), IMA – The Association of Accountants and Finance Professionals in Business and The Institute of Internal Auditors) and provides thought leadership through the development of comprehensive frameworks and guidance on enterprise risk management, internal control and fraud deterrence designed to improve organisational performance and oversight and reduce the extent of fraud in organisations.